Saturday, March 13, 2010

Time is Flying

I just can't keep up! The months are flying and Orion is growing fast. He is almost 10 months now. He's getting a front tooth and it makes him look so old! He is pulling up to everything and pulling things down. Michael says he works very hard at his mischief, so you have to pay him some respect, despite the destructiveness. He's really trying to communicate, which is cute. And the big change lately is that he's "so OVER" baby food. If it can't be picked up or chewed on, he's not interested. What's so wrong with easy to swallow?

The highlight of our February was travelling to Utah for a week. We drove, and Orion did very well, thankfully. We had a great visit seeing Michael's family. Lots of visiting, and Michael was doing research and interviews for a documentary he is making about his grandmother. It was great to see Orion interact with his many cousins, and just great to have time with Michael's brothers, sisters, and his mother.







(Ashton, Gabriel, & Orion)





We were expecting more of a winter wonderland, but it was quite warm and there was very little snow on the ground. On the way out of town, it started snowing. So at least we saw some flakes before coming back to California.
(Here are a couple pictures of me and Orion outside the Mormon Tabernacle on Temple Square, the day we left Utah)














On the way home we stopped in Calico Ghost Town, and enjoyed the sights there. It's really an amazing place, stuck in time. Michael's been begging to get the old fashioned photos done there, so we finally did. We did a family picture, and then some of Orion. It was so fun to dress him as a little cowboy! Then we had lunch at a restaurant there with peanut shells all over the floor (not good with a crawling baby), and ate buffalo burgers, which were delicious.







































One hard thing over the last couple months is that Orion's had an ear infection that has held on for 6 weeks. It's getting better, but it's still not gone. I just hope he's not in too much pain. On top of that, he got a stomach bug when we went to Utah, so when we took Orion in for his 9 month check-up, he was under weight. He was 28 inches, and only 17 1/2 lbs. So the doctor is trying to get us to fatten him up. He has put on a half pound since then, so we're not too worried. He's so active, it's going to be tough to fatten him up much more!

The highlight of my March has been going to the park with my baby. With my working full time, there is just no daylight to get to the park. (Michael makes a point to take him every Thursday when he's home with Orion) We have done lots of Saturday and Sunday walks on the beach which has been great. But this month, I have had the opportunity to take Orion to the park to play on the playground twice, and I have loved it. He's old enough to crawl around and pull up on different things, interact with other children, and just explore.













I have enjoyed the conversations I've had with other parents too. I realize that going to the park is a very common thing, but I feel like I've joined a wonderful club. I can't wait to take him again now that the days are going to be a little longer. The other nice thing about him playing at the park, is that he's totally stimulated and happy, AND he doesn't make a mess!













Looking ahead later in March, my mom will be coming for a visit, during her and my spring break. I can't wait to have her here. It's natural to want to share all the milestones with one's parents, so we are counting the days. I'm hoping to go to several different parks with her and Orion, and just enjoy the sun and company and relaxation. I'm so thankful for a sweet husband, precious baby, and wonderful extended family to share life's experiences with!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Looks like Orion is going to keep you busy, but luckily he's a doll- seems to make the mischief more bearable.
    Love the cowboy pics of him too. What a great idea. Have fun with your mom and your time off. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure mom will have a blast. Sounds like fun to take him to the park. I'm excited for that to be more fun with Cohen. You got some great pics in Utah. I was sorry to hear about his ear infection. He doesn't look "too" thin. Cohen has graduated into his bigger carseat 'cause he is like 22 lbs and 28-29 inches. So no more carrying him in around in a carseat anymore. Luckily he started sitting just in time. Hope to see you sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ghost town photos, albeit Mike's a little too "thick" to be a late-1800s cavalryman (even though we know he's in excellent condition). They were a scrawny lot... except for Gen. (Phil) Sheridan, who really packed it on after the Civil War.

    I very much hope Orion's ear infection clears up. Emily had chronic ear infections at about the same age, and finally had surgery to install tiny drainage tubes in her ear. It was a controversial procedure, but in her case it worked. With luck you won't have to do anything that drastic.

    As always, it's great to be able to keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete