Sunday, May 9, 2010

Spring Break with Mom

Spring break turned out to be a great week. It had a rocky start, when I randomly got a speck of dust or sand in my eye when I was getting in bed on Sunday night, and it ended up scratching my eye. I could barely sleep and I ended up calling an eye doctor from church the next morning. He ended up seeing me 3 times over the next 24 hours. Thankfully, after spending all of Monday in misery, he prescribed me an antibiotic, which really helped take the pain away. My mom arrived at our house on Monday night, so thankfully I was feeling better relatively soon after her arrival. How random, to have a whole day ruined by a speck of sand.

Mom was with us for 3 days, and we had a great visit! We went hiking in the Pacific Palisades, with amazing ocean views and hiking trails. We hiked at Kenneth Hahn Park, with views of all of LA. We went for a beach walk to Fisherman's Wharf, and played at the beach park with Orion. We walked around Santa Monica, had dinner at Boca di Beppo, and walked UNDER the Santa Monica Pier for the first time. It was really an amazing sight, to walk through all the old wood posts, as the water lapped against them. I can't believe I have never done that in all the years I have lived in LA, and all the times I have walked on the Santa Monica Pier. Mom loves to hike, so I planned lots of hiking and walking. By the end of the week, I was seriously sore! It was so nice to have my mom here, and to share my cute baby with her. She enjoyed reading to Orion and chasing him around. She could have done without all of his screaming when he was "done" with sitting in his carseat. But for the most part, I think she found him to be a very happy child. She got to spend a few days with my brother Niel and his wife and two daughters before hanging with us, so I think she had a great spring break seeing her grandkids in LA!

I enjoyed having the chance to talk with my mom on our long hikes. I asked her lots of questions about what her life was like as a young mom, and learned a lot of things I didn't know, which was great. Another treasure was finally learning how to make lasagna! This was my favorite dish growing up, and why I waited 33 years to learn how to make it I'm really not sure! As I look back on spring break, I think it was nice for me to enjoy a vacation without actually going anywhere. Having someone visit me was a perfect blend of celebrating and enjoying each day without all the pain and drain of travel. So thanks Mom!!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun week. I would love to hike there. That's one of my favorite things to do on my travels. Sorry about the sand. Glad it all worked out. Orion is sure growing up fast! Love the 2nd pic of you and him hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sorry I forgot to send you my lasagne recipe. It is such an easy dish that it makes you wonder why you haven't been making it all along. I also make a dish called Moussakka now which is kind of like lasagne with eggplant instead of pasta.

    I'm sure mom was grateful that you planned so many hikes. I exercise regularly now, but still don't hike. So if she comes to stay here, she is on her own. Luckily you can hike down to the beach from my place so she's not out of luck.

    I'm glad your eye got better quickly. Remember a the Fish family reunion when we were sharing a tent and something scratched my eye or something? i was miserable. Just reading about your eye made mine water.

    ReplyDelete